Electric string trimmers are a must-have if you have a yard with a big lawn. They have several uses in the garden, such as shredding leaves if you don’t have a shredder and getting rid of pampas grass. To help you choose the best one for you, I’ve put together this handy round-up of my best corded electric string trimmer reviews.
While all 5 products listed in this article are pretty great, one of them stands out from the crowd: the Greenworks Corded String Trimmer . This lightweight product has a 10-amp motor with a straight shaft and a large 18-inch cutting path.
If you’d like to weigh your options, keep reading to find out more about how the others fare against our Greenworks contender!
- 1 In A Rush? Here Are Our Favorite Picks
- 2 5 Of The Best Corded Electric String Trimmer Reviews
- 2.1 Greenworks B008BY6ZEC 10-Amp 18-Inch Corded String Trimmer: Best Overall
- 2.2 BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer / Edger, 13-Inch, 5-Amp (ST8600) – Most Affordable
- 2.3 Sun Joe TRJ13STE Trimmer Joe 13″ Automatic Feed Electric String Trimmer/Edger – Most Versatile
- 2.4 Greenworks 5.5-Amp 15-Inch Corded String Trimmer, 21272 – Best For Smaller Yards
- 2.5 Worx WG119 5.5 Amp 15″ Electric String Trimmer & Edger – Best For Easy Customization
- 3 More Info On Corded Electric String Trimmers
- 3.1 How Do You Choose The Best Corded Electric String Trimmer?
- 3.2 What Are Some Of The Advantages Of Using A Corded Electric String Trimmer?
- 3.3 What Should You Look Out For When Choosing An Electric String Trimmer?
- 3.4 Precautions To Take Into Consideration When Using A String Trimmer
- 4 FAQs
- 5 The Best Corded Electric String Trimmer Reviews – Final Thoughts
In A Rush? Here Are Our Favorite Picks
In a rush? Check out our comparison table below to see all the products we will talk about here and our favorites.
5 Of The Best Corded Electric String Trimmer Reviews
Greenworks B008BY6ZEC 10-Amp 18-Inch Corded String Trimmer: Best Overall
- 10Amp motor with straight shaft and .080 dual line bump feed
- Light weight and simple electric start with cord lock feature makes it easy to use
- Large 18" cutting path helps speed up the trimming process
- 10-amp motor with straight shaft
- Quick connect coupler
- Allows for attachment changes using fittings from several brands
- Cushion and over-mold grip and handle
- Features a cord lock
If you’re looking for a string trimmer that is both environmentally friendly and powerful, the Greenworks B008BY6ZEC may be just the thing you need. This corded electric weed eater is touted to be the most powerful one currently available on the market – surpassing its gas-powered counterparts.
This string trimmer has a dual 0.80-inch spiral twisted line with a bump feed head and a 10-Amp motor with a straight shaft. Thanks to its 18-inch cutting path, you will no longer need to spend hours outside cutting your lawn, as it speeds up the trimming process.
Designed with user comfort in mind, it boasts a cushion and over-mold grip and handle. This product works like a dream as it’s lightweight and very comfortable to operate. It won’t tire you easily and it’s an environmentalist’s best friend as it’s carbon-emission free.
I’ve selected this product as the best corded electric weed eater because of its versatility and ability to accept attachments from just about any brand. A product that provides exceptional quality while still being safe for the environment is rare and deserves a place in everyone’s garden sheds!
- Reliable and long-lasting
- Safe for the environment as it’s carbon-emission free
- Easy to use
- Safe to use – features a lock-off switch
- Powerful motor that sweeps through tough terrain
- Features a connect coupler
- Hassle-free attachment changes – attachments from multiple brands are suitable
- Cushioned grip handle aids user comfort
- Safety feature is too small and difficult to keep hold of
BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer / Edger, 13-Inch, 5-Amp (ST8600) – Most Affordable
- 2-IN-1 - Corded electric Trimmer and Edger cuts along borders, sidewalks and flower beds and easily converts between...
- EASY HANDLING - Lightweight and easy to handle with adjustable height handles, Edge guide provides precise edging
- MORE LINE, MORE CONTROL - Automatically feeds more line with no bumping necessary thanks to AUTOMATIC SPOOL FEED...
- 13-inch trim radius
- 5.0-amp motor
- Functions as both a trimmer and edger
- Automatic feed spool
- POWERDRIVE transmission
The Black+Decker String Trimmer/Edger doubles as both a string trimmer and an edger. You might be wondering whether a string trimmer could really be used as an edger. There is a bit of a fine line to it but a string trimmer can definitely be used as an edger if you’d rather not invest in both.
Is there anything better than a 2-in-1 product? Not only is it more affordable than buying two separate products, but it is also convenient, as it easily converts between a wheeled edger and a string trimmer.
This string trimmer and edger combo has a 13-inch trim radius and a 5.0-amp motor. Its powerful motor, combined with its POWERDRIVE transmission, allows it to effortlessly sweep through even the toughest weeds, grass and overgrowth. Thanks to its 13-inch trim radius, you will be able to get through a large lawn in no time at all.
With its automatic feed spool, you won’t need to fiddle around trying to feed the trimmer line. Its automatic line cutting head feeds through the line as needed, without any interruption.
Designed for user comfort, the Black+Decker String Trimmer/Edger is lightweight and allows you to adjust its height according to your preference. Its pivoting handle positions and premium micro-texture grips provide ease of use.
- String trimmer and edger in one
- Conveniently converts from string trimmer to edger
- Adjustable height
- Automatic feed spool
- Comfortable – includes micro texture grips and pivoting handles
- Recessed power plug that doesn’t fit a 3-prong extension cord
- Auto-feed line spool has been claimed to use up too much line over a short space of time
Sun Joe TRJ13STE Trimmer Joe 13″ Automatic Feed Electric String Trimmer/Edger – Most Versatile
- [POWERFUL]: 4-amp motor
- [CUTTING SWATH]: 13-inch maximum
- [ERGONOMIC]: Handle adjusts for comfort
- 2-in-1 string trimmer and edger
- 4-amp motor
- 13-inch cutting trim radius
- Adjustable ergonomic handle
- Rotating shaft
Similar to the Black+Decker String Trimmer/Edger, the Sun Joe Trimmer Joe 13’’ Automatic Feed Electric String Trimmer/Edger also doubles as both a string trimmer and edger, making it a convenient option for several reasons. You get to save money because it covers both the functions of an edger and a trimmer, and you also get to save space in your garden shed.
This electric weed eater is able to instantly convert into an edger with just a 180-degree head turn. It comes equipped with an edger guider, making it easier for you to edge your lawn with precision. Its useful flower guard protects against accidental contact with flowers.
Its 4-amp motor combined with a 13-inch trim radius is able to clear through tough, overgrown grass with ease. The addition of an automatic feed spool system allows for uninterrupted use and ensures that you’ll always have as much line as you need.
Due to its lightweight features, this product is easy to maneuver and fits in tight spaces. Built for user comfort, it boasts an adjustable ergonomic handle and a 41’’ – 50’’ telescopic shaft.
- A string trimmer and edger in one
- Feeds spool automatically
- Features an adjustable ergonomic handle
- Adjustable shaft that can be altered depending on your preferred height
- Features an edger guider, giving your neat and precise edges
- Fitting replacement spools may be troublesome
- Spools don’t last long
Greenworks 5.5-Amp 15-Inch Corded String Trimmer, 21272 – Best For Smaller Yards
- Lightweight, easy to use design, only 7.05 pounds
- 15 inch cut path with pivoting head allows for edging and trimming capability with edging wheel
- 0.065 dual line auto feed with electric start gets you going within seconds, no gas hassle
- 15-inch cutting path
- 5.5-amp motor
- 3-position pivoting head
- Adjustable telescoping shaft
- Features a cord lock
The Greenworks 5.5-Amp corded electric string trimmer is equipped with a 15-inch cutting path, allowing you to cut through tough, overgrown lawns. Its powerful 5.5-amp motor adds to the efficiency and strength of this product.
With its 3-position 180° wrap-around/rotating handle, this product is excellent for both trimming and edging. As a trimmer, it’s able to tend to hard-to-reach areas easily. It comes equipped with a built-in edging wheel that offers finer edging control, resulting in perfectly manicured and precise edges.
Designed for ease of use, this corded electric string trimmer has a straight and adjustable telescoping shaft that accommodates different user heights. Its integrated cord lock prevents the cord from disconnecting and causing interruptions.
Weighing just 7.3lbs, this lightweight corded electric string trimmer moves effortlessly. Throw an automatic line cutting head into the mix and you have a pretty solid contender.
- Rotating handle does an amazing job when the string trimmer is used as an edger
- Easy to alternate between string trimmer and edger
- Easy to assemble
- Powerful motor
- Good value for money
- Includes a straight shaft that can be adjusted easily depending on your height preference
- Features an integrated cord lock
- Automatic line feed system can be problematic as the line cuts inside the machine and is difficult to replace.
- The string doesn’t last very long.
Worx WG119 5.5 Amp 15″ Electric String Trimmer & Edger – Best For Easy Customization
- [2-IN-1] Rotating shaft turns this trimmer into an edger and back again in seconds—there’s no reason to buy separate...
- [AUTO LINE FEED] The dual-line feed system gives you fresh trimmer string when you need it, always at the perfect length
- [90° PIVOTING HEAD] Change the angle to better accommodate sloped and inclined areas of the lawn, and get into hard to...
- Can be used as both a string trimmer and an edger
- Features a rotating shaft
- Dual-line feed system
- 90° pivoting head
- Multi-position handle
The multi-purpose Worx WG119 5.5 Amp 15 easily converts into an edger. With its 5.5-amp motor, this tool exhibits great performance and is versatile enough to work wonders on both small and large lawns. Despite being environmentally friendly as an electric trimmer, this product offers the same results as a gas string trimmer would.
Described to offer “above modern efficiency standards,” the Worx brand is touted to be engineered with cutting-edge technology, producing one-of-a-kind results.
It has a 4-position head that is capable of adjusting to sloped landscapes and able to fit into tight spaces. Users will find this product to be comfortable to operate due to its ergonomic design, adjustable handle and shaft, which give you greater control over it.
Equipped with an auto-feed dual line system, the Worx 5.5 Amp electric string trimmer and edger provides quick line advance without bumping. This feature aids user comfort and offers operators hassle-free use.
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to adjust shaft according to personal preference
- Does a great job of clearing out weed
- Motor is located close to the spool, resulting in dirt and debris getting lodged in and disrupting the motor’s cooling process.
- Plastic line can be tricky as it tends to warm up and stick to itself
- Auto-feed system can be difficult to use
- Poor quality line
That’s it for my 5 of the best corded electric string trimmer reviews! There are a couple of other great ones on the market that I haven’t yet reviewed. The string trimmers by Husqvarna and Stihl are discussed in great detail in this article if you’d like to check them out.
More Info On Corded Electric String Trimmers
How Do You Choose The Best Corded Electric String Trimmer?
Before investing your hard-earned money into any tool, it’s always best to do your research and figure out what your individual requirements are.
If you’re looking to purchase a corded electric string trimmer, there are many factors to take into consideration when making your pick. These include the size of your yard and whether the surface of your yard is fairly flat and easy to get around or sloped and rocky.
User comfort is also a very important factor to think about. Think about the weight of the product, the design of handles and how ergonomic the product is. You definitely don’t want to get a heavy string trimmer if you’re rather petite and if it would be a mission for you to operate.
Lowe’s explains how to go about choosing the right string trimmer in this video:
What Are Some Of The Advantages Of Using A Corded Electric String Trimmer?
No Gas Smell
If you’ve previously owned a gas-powered string trimmer, chances are that you’re no stranger to that gassy smell emitted when it’s in use. Well, if you’re contemplating whether an electric string trimmer is the way to go, let me just remind you that you will no longer have to suffer through any bad smell when using an electric string trimmer.
Lightweight Compared To Gas-Powered Counterparts
Gas-powered string trimmers are usually very heavy. This can make it difficult for users to operate and maneuver. Electric string trimmers, on the other hand, are typically very lightweight due to the difference in weight compared to electric motors.
If you’ve been struggling with hauling a heavy gas string trimmer and find that you need to take regular breaks to rest in between your trimming session, an electric string trimmer could be the answer to your problems!
YouTube user Lawn Care Business Success discusses the differences between gas-powered string trimmers and electric trimmers in this video:
Gas-powered string trimmers often require regular maintenance. This is due to the highly flammable and dirty nature of gas. There are many safety checks that need to be done regularly as a result of the dangers associated with the use of gas. This includes regular cleaning of each part of the string trimmer, such as the air filter, spark plug and fuel filter.
The storage of gas can also be a sore point, as there are very special factors to be considered that can be very dangerous if ignored. If you’d like a hassle-free option that spares you the headache of storing gas, an electric string trimmer is definitely the way to go.
Electric trimmers are easier all-round, as they don’t require special storage instructions and there aren’t any dangerous elements that require careful instructions and care. Unlike gas-powered string trimmers that require you to purchase and store gas regularly, all you need to operate an electric string trimmer is an electrical outlet.
What Should You Look Out For When Choosing An Electric String Trimmer?
Firstly, you need to decide whether a corded or cordless string trimmer would suit your needs. A corded string trimmer is suitable if you have a smaller yard, while a cordless trimmer would be best if you have a larger yard.
It’s important to check out the amperage of the product. The higher the amp, the more powerful the tool. Products such as the Greenworks B008BY6ZEC 10-Amp 18-Inch Corded String Trimmer are forerunners in this regard.
If you have a larger yard, a bigger cutting path is the best option for you. The bigger the cutting path, the more ground is covered in a shorter space of time. This means that you won’t have to spend hours outside moving around your string trimmer trying to get your lawn to a perfectly manicured state.
Precautions To Take Into Consideration When Using A String Trimmer
String trimmers can be extremely powerful. Sometimes, this isn’t such a great thing, as it can be rather dangerous if you happen to hit a stone or gravel-strewn area.
Always make sure that you’re wearing protective gear when operating a string trimmer. The most important pieces of protective gear to wear are gloves and gardening goggles. Wearing long pants and sturdy shoes will also keep you safe from any flying pieces of debris.
Are electric string trimmers any good?
Electric string trimmers are good and powerful enough for yard work. They usually perform just as great as their gas-powered counterparts.
Are gas or electric trimmers better?
Gas trimmers are better than their electric counterparts. They usually perform better than electric string trimmers due to their motors, which are more powerful than electric trimmers.
What string trimmer do professionals use?
The Best Corded Electric String Trimmer Reviews – Final Thoughts
After researching these five corded electric string trimmers, I am convinced that the Greenworks B008BY6ZEC 10-Amp 18-Inch Corded String Trimmer is the overall best. This product stands out for me because it’s worth the money, it works like a charm on tough lawns and it’s just as good as any gas counterpart.
The fact that this powerful tool is also eco-friendly is a major thumbs up for environmentally conscious folk.
Coming in second place has to be the BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer / Edger, 13-Inch, 5-Amp (ST8600) . This affordable multi-purpose string trimmer has POWERDRIVE transmission, which takes it to another level. This product is definitely worth the money.
If you’re not happy with the Greenworks or BLACK+DECKER products, my third option would have to be the versatile Sun Joe TRJ13STE Trimmer Joe 13’’ Automatic Feed Electric String Trimmer/Edger . This product has many pros to it but, should you opt for this one, be prepared for a couple of setbacks when dealing with the spools and automatic line feed.
Corded electric string trimmers have taken over the string trimmer market. There’s no fuss involved and they are very straightforward to assemble and operate.
I hope these reviews have helped you make a decision on your perfect fit!
Last update on 2023-03-27 at 00:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API