How frustrating is it when you don’t have the right gardening tool in your shed to get the job done?
Whether you are missing some horticultural essentials or looking for that perfect gift for the gardener in your life, I’ve got you covered!
I’ve created a list of the best gardening tools to get you ready for the new growing season.
- 1 In A Rush? Check Out Our Comparison Tables
- 2 18 Of The Best Gardening Tools Ever
- 2.1 Prohoe Rogue 65VW Garden Hoe
- 2.2 Bully Tools 82515 Round Point Shovel
- 2.3 Radius Garden 203 PRO Digging Fork
- 2.4 True Temper 30-inch Clog-Free Lawn And Leaf Rake
- 2.5 Zenport 15307A Garden Adjustable Hand Rake
- 2.6 gonicc 8-inch Professional Anvil Pruning Shears
- 2.7 gonicc Professional Anvil Lopper
- 2.8 Sensei Tools Hori Digging Knife
- 2.9 Pespirit Garden Tools Oxford Storage Bag Tote With 8 Exterior Side Pockets
- 2.10 Flexzilla Pro Water Hose
- 2.11 Tubtrugs SP26SKBL Sky Blue 26-Liter/6.9-Gallon Capacity
- 2.12 Sun Joe iON16LM Cordless Lawnmower
- 2.13 FCMP Outdoor IM4000 Tumbling Composter
- 2.14 A.M. Leonard Garden Scoot with Swivel Seat
- 2.15 Earthwise GS70015 Garden Electric Chipper
- 2.16 Sun Joe TJ603E Electric Tiller And Cultivator
- 2.17 Smart Carts 7 Cubic Foot Utility Cart
- 2.18 G & F Products Women Gardening Gloves
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Must-Have Gardening Tools
- 3.1 Gardening Shovels — The Options
- 3.2 Rakes — The Options
- 3.3 A Spading Or Bedding Fork — What’s The Difference?
- 3.4 Anvil Vs. Bypass Pruners — What’s The Difference?
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Other Tools To Consider
- 6 Garden With Confidence
In A Rush? Check Out Our Comparison Tables
Let’s take a quick glance at the products we will talk about here.
18 Of The Best Gardening Tools Ever
Prohoe Rogue 65VW Garden Hoe
- Best heavy-duty garden hoe for digging, raking, and weeding.
- 3 sharpened edge head.
- Well-balanced and easy to use.
Finding the best garden hoe is the goal of every devoted gardener. Introducing the Prohoe Rouge 65VW!
The Prohoe Rouge 65VW is not like your typical garden hoe. The uniquely shaped head is designed to tackle different gardening tasks from different angles.
The pointed end is amazing for making furrows and digging. The sides are great for pulling back dirt and getting rid of weeds. Use the rake on the back to remove rocks and dead plants.
On top of that, the heavy blade is balanced with the 60-inch straight-grained ash handle.
To find out why we chose this how to be the best among others, read our best gardening hoe review.
- 6.5-inch tempered steel head
- Blade sharpened from all sides
- 60-inch ash handle
- Handcrafted in the USA
- Head may pop off
Bully Tools 82515 Round Point Shovel
- Has closed-back design to eliminate debris buildup.
- Reinforced handle with triple wall system.
- One-piece ferrule has no seam — preventing separation.
Looking for a shovel that won’t break on you when plowing the garden by hand? This Bully Tools Round Point Shovel is just what you need!
The shovel is made of 14-gauge steel that is up to 30 percent thicker than competitive models.
Its overall strength comes from the 48.5-inch-long reinforced handle, which features three layers: a reinforced wood core, thick fiberglass, and an extended steel ferrule to prevent bending.
- True 14-gauge steel
- Closed-back design
- Handle has triple wall construction
- 59.25-inches long
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Powder coating comes off easily
- May not be suitable for heavy-duty work
Radius Garden 203 PRO Digging Fork
- Great for turning soil, digging potatoes, moving the mulch, etc.
- Stainless steel square tines and carbon steel shaft.
- O-shaped handle designed to relieve hand and wrist stress.
A digging fork is a staple gardening tool in my books. This tool may be just what you are missing in your shed.
The Radius Garden 203 PRO digging fork has strong and long stainless steel tines that dig deep into the soil. The elevated wide step allows you to safely apply force to the tines to get the job done.
What makes this digging fork unique is its O-handle. The handle has a larger gripping surface, so you can use both hands for extra strength. The comfortable thermoplastic cover reduces arm and wrist strain.
- Stainless steel tines
- Resin-encased carbon steel shaft
- Non-latex thermoplastic handle
- Innovative O-shaped handle
- Lifetime manufacturer guarantee
- Tines may bend
True Temper 30-inch Clog-Free Lawn And Leaf Rake
- Ideal for raking large amounts of leaves.
- Design prevents clogging for easier clean-up.
- Cushioned handle ensures better grip and control.
If you are into keeping your yard neat and clear of leaves, I’ve got the product for you. The True Temper Leaf Rake is specifically designed to prevent leaves from getting stuck in between the tines.
With a 30-inch poly head, you will clean up your lawn faster than before.
And you don’t need to worry about getting blisters when landscaping. The cushioned handle grip protects you from the hardwood handle, giving you a better grip and control over the movement of the rake.
- Clog-free design
- Cushioned handle grip
- 30-inch poly head
- 48-inch hardwood handle
- 15-year limited warranty
- Contains Diisononyl Phthalate (DiNP), which may be a carcinogen
- Handle cover may rip
Zenport 15307A Garden Adjustable Hand Rake
- Length of metal tines can be adjusted.
- Ideal for reaching narrow spaces.
- Black color with hints of green makes it easy to spot in the garden.
Looking for a small garden rake to reach the leaves stuck under your plants and shrubs?
This handy gadget will help you clean your gutters, distribute mulch, and reach under thorny rose bushes without getting hurt.
The metal tines can be freely adjusted by pushing the green button on the handle. You can expand the length from 11 to 12.75 inches and the width from 2.75 to 6.75 inches.
Do you often misplace your garden tools? This rake’s black and green color will ensure you easily find it in your garden bed.
- Metal tins adjust freely to different positions
- Length expands 11-12.75 inches
- Width spread 2.75-6.75 inches
- Black and green color
- Easy to store
- Might be flimsy
gonicc 8-inch Professional Anvil Pruning Shears
- Blades and handle made of high-quality steel.
- Ratcheting mechanism improves hand power with each cut.
- Ergonomic design is friendly for left and right-hand use.
Looking for the best garden shears?
These gonicc 8-inch Professional Pruning Shears with anvil mechanism are ideal for pruning dead and dried out plants.
The strong SK-5 steel blade allows you to make precision cuts and the handle, made of chrome vanadium steel, makes the shears powerful and sturdy.
You will easily cut through branches with these shears, as their ratcheting mechanism multiplies the power of your hand up to three times. They are also great for pruning, for example, when you need to prune your brussel sprouts or other plants. Shears are also an irreplaceable tool for indoor gardening.
The ergonomic design is suitable for both hands. The anti-slip cushioning on the handle ensures a tight grip for safe cutting.
For more info about the best garden shears, check this post by anestwithayard.com.
- SK-5 steel blade
- Chrome vanadium steel handle
- Ratcheting mechanism
- Ergonomic design
- Anti-slip cushioned handle
- Lifetime satisfaction guarantee
- Blade may be dull
- Bad at cutting thicker branches
gonicc Professional Anvil Lopper
- Cuts branches up to 2 inches in diameter.
- SK-5 carbon steel blade is stronger than an ordinary blade.
- Ergonomic handle with rubber grip for comfort.
Looking for a strong lopper to maintain your orchard?
This gonicc Professional 30-inch Lopper can cut fresh branches that are up to 2 inches in diameter and dried branches up to 1.4 inches.
The single blade of this anvil lopper is made of strong SK-5 carbon steel. It stays sharp, even after putting it through heavy work.
Cutting through branches should not be difficult since multiple pivot points and moving parts increase the force on the blade.
The ergonomic handle, made of durable steel, has rubber ends to ensure comfort during cutting.
- 2-inch diameter cutting capacity
- SK-5 carbon steel blade
- Compound lever system
- Non-slip handle
- Lifetime satisfaction guarantee
- Blade not strong enough for thicker branches
Sensei Tools Hori Digging Knife
- Stainless steel blade with a straight and serrated edge.
- Contoured handle has textured, non-slip finish.
- Depth scale marked on the side.
This multipurpose gadget may just complete your gardening tool collection.
This Sensei 12.5 inch-long Hori Digging Knife is a cross between a hand trowel and a knife. It can be used for digging, weeding, and planting — you name it!
It has a mirror-polished blade, featuring a straight and serrated edge. The sharp edges will easily cut into the soil and saw stubborn roots. The depth scale on the side helps make your planting precise.
The contoured handle with a textured finish ensures a better grip. It is safer than a knife with a wooden handle.
- Stainless steel blade
- Straight and serrated edge
- Depth scale
- Non-slip handle
- Leather sheath included
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- Handle made of plastic
- Sheath poorly designed
Pespirit Garden Tools Oxford Storage Bag Tote With 8 Exterior Side Pockets
- High-quality polyester and oxford cloth lining with seam.
- 6 front pockets and 2 side pockets outside.
- Anti-slip strap handle.
- Pockets are deep enough to avoid the tools fall out.
- Bottom is reinforced with a durable polyethylene (PE) board.
Carrying a bunch of gardening tools from one place to another can be a hassle. This Pespirit Garden Tools Oxford Storage Bag is here to help.
This pretty floral gardening bag is made of durable but lightweight high-quality polyester and oxford cloth. The bottom is padded and reinforced to hold heavy gardening tools. The sides are soft and flexible to allow for more storage space.
This gardening tote bag has a large main compartment and 8 extra-tall pockets with elastics to hold your tools and water bottle in place.
- 6.7-inch width x 13.5-inch depth x 12-inch height
- Heavy-duty polyester and oxford cloth
- Reinforced bottom
- 8 extra-tall pockets
- Elastic straps on both sides
- Multi-snap closure
- Elastic straps could be stretchier
Flexzilla Pro Water Hose
- Suitable for all weather conditions.
- Does not kink under water pressure.
- O-ring ensures leak-free connection at the faucet.
Looking for a hose that doesn’t leak or kink? Better yet, one you can safely drink water from?
The Flexzilla Pro Water Hose is a lightweight gardening essential that lays flat and doesn’t kink under pressure.
The hose performs well in diverse weather conditions. It can withstand temperatures ranging from -40 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
The O-ring connector prevents water leakage at the spigot. Most importantly, the inner tube is made of a hybrid polymer material that is drinking water safe and lead-free.
- All-weather flexibility
- Durable and abrasion-resistant
- Leak-free O-ring
- Drinking water safe
- 2-year warranty
- Not as kink-free as advertised
- May be difficult to coil
Tubtrugs SP26SKBL Sky Blue 26-Liter/6.9-Gallon Capacity
- Reinforced ribbing on the sides.
- Flexible sides make for easy storing.
- Frost-proof and UV-resistant.
The Tubtrugs SP26SKBL tub will be your new gardening buddy. This 6.9-gallon bucket can carry your organic fruit and veggies, mulch, laundry — you name it!
It is flexible in every sense of the word. It can be used for various purposes, but it can also be twisted and folded for easy storage.
Both handles are strong and comfortable. The reinforced ribbons in the design provide extra strength.
Most importantly, the Tubtrugs pail is made of food-grade plastic, so you can safely use it to harvest your fresh produce.
- Reinforced ribbing
- Strong and comfy handles
- Easy to store
- Frost-proof and UV-resistant
- May have an odor
Sun Joe iON16LM Cordless Lawnmower
- Powered by rechargeable 40V lithium-ion battery.
- Runs up to 40 minutes at a time.
- Durable steel blade mows 15-inch wide path in one go.
This Sun Joe iON16LM Lawnmower is ideal for small to mid-sized lawns. The ergonomic machine is powered by a rechargeable 40V battery, so you don’t need to worry about cords getting in the way or carbon emissions.
The powerful 600W brushless motor rotates a durable steel blade that cuts grass with precision. You can cut the lawn at six different heights — from 1.18 to 3.15 inches.
This mower gives you the option to either collect the grass clippings in a bag or discharge them via the chute.
- Rechargeable battery
- Powerful 600W motor
- Durable steel blade
- 6-position height adjustment
- Dual-port battery charger
- 9.25-gallon grass bag
- Battery not that powerful.
FCMP Outdoor IM4000 Tumbling Composter
- Two cambers allow for composting at different stages.
- Aeration holes and deep fins ensures better composting.
- BPA-free composter with a corrosion-resistant steel frame.
Tired of mixing your compost by hand?
The FCMP Outdoor IM4000 tumbling composter will reduce your manual labor. All you need to do is spin it five to six times every two to three days to mix and aerate the organic matter.
The aeration holes and deep fins in the design break up the compost and introduce more oxygen into it, so your compost can be ready in as little as two weeks.
This composter features two separate chambers with a total capacity of 37 gallons. Best of all, you can safely leave it in your garden, as it will not degrade under sunlight.
- 8-sided dual chamber
- 37-gallon capacity
- Removable sliding door
- Aerations holes
- BPA-free and UV-treated
- Corrosion-resistant steel frame
- Chamber opening is narrow
- Sliding door makes emptying harder
- May be hard to assemble
A.M. Leonard Garden Scoot with Swivel Seat
- Lets you work from a seated position.
- Seat can be adjusted from 16 to 20-inches in height.
- Weight capacity is 400 lbs.
Is gardening getting too difficult on your back and knees but you don’t want to give it up? Here is a tractor scoot that will let you work from a sitting position.
This steerable scoot should last you a while since it is made of a strong welded steel tubular frame. The sturdy construction can hold up to 400 pounds and the height of the seat can be adjusted from 16 to 20 inches.
A storage and tool tray underneath the seat can hold your tools and supplies, while the basket in the back is great for collecting your harvest.
If you need a bigger tractor for a more serious job, check out my best garden tractor reviews.
- Weight capacity of 400 lbs
- Adjustable seat height
- Heavy-duty constriction
- 10-inch polyurethane flat-free tires
- Storage tray and basket
- Wheels might not work well on uneven surfaces
- Turning wheels while sitting might be hard
Earthwise GS70015 Garden Electric Chipper
- Shreds branches up to 1.75-inches thick.
- Powered by powerful 15-amp motor.
- Slim and lightweight design — easy to transport.
This Earthwise GS70015 Electric Shredder is great for making fresh mulch out of the twigs, branches, and leaves in your backyard.
This shredder works on a standard North American electric circuit 120V and 60Hz frequency. The powerful 15-amp motor makes up to 4500 rotations per minute, which is pretty impressive.
You can safely shred leaves using the leaf chute and plunger tool. The 40-liter collection bin will catch the bits and pieces, which you can later add to your composting pile.
- Runs on electricity
- Powerful 15-amp motor
- Maximum branch thickness 1 ¾-inches
- 1.2-bushel collection bin
- Leaf chute and temper tool included
- Reset switch
- Opening too small for leaves
- Jams easily
Sun Joe TJ603E Electric Tiller And Cultivator
- Cultivates up to 16 inches wide and 8 inches deep.
- Handle folds for easy storage.
- Wheels can be adjusted into 3 positions.
Tired of turning soil by hand? This Sun Joe TJ603E Electric Tiller is just what you need.
This practical machine is powered by a 120V battery, so you don’t need to worry about handling gas. The powerful 12-amp motor spins six angled steel tines at 340 rotations per minute.
It can cultivate an area 16-inches wide and 8-inches deep. This range ensures that the soil is well aerated and prepped for sowing.
The two back wheels make transportation easier, while the foldable handle makes it storage-friendly.
- 12-amp motor
- Tills at 340 RMP
- Wide and deep digging range
- Adjustable wheels
- Foldable handle
- 2-year warranty
- Not for hard soil
- Hard to control
Smart Carts 7 Cubic Foot Utility Cart
- Removable 7-cubic-foot plastic tub.
- Weight capacity of up to 400 lbs.
- Aluminum frame and 20-inch spoke wheels are sturdy.
Looking for a garden cart for easier transportation of tools and goods?
This Smart Carts Utility Cart is made of a durable aluminum frame and a heavy-duty plastic tub. The 7-cubic-foot tub can be easily snapped on or off.
The 20-inch spoke wheels are not only pretty, they can also handle up to 400 pounds of material.
This utility cart has a comfortable handle and tilted front for easier emptying. It is sturdy but lightweight and resistant to rust and leaking.
- Removable tub
- 400-lb weight capacity
- Sturdy aluminum frame
- Rust-proof and leak-free
- 3-year warranty
- Tub may fall off when emptying
G & F Products Women Gardening Gloves
- Microfoam coating keeps hands dry and protected.
- Flexible for a better fit and easy movement.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
How much do you hate trying to get dirt out from under your fingernails? Well, there is a solution to this problem — these pretty gloves that come in a pack of three!
These G & F Products Gardening Gloves are ideal for handling the soil and working with prickly plants (such as cacti).
They are covered with a protective micro-foam coating. This textured rubber gives you a better grip and protects you from blisters, germs, allergies, sunburn, and fertilizers.
These gloves are also flexible, which is an instant plus, and they will fit you like a glove — pun intended!
- Pretty design
- Flexible 100% nylon shell
- Protective micro-foam coating
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- One size does not fit all
- Not waterproof
Buyer’s Guide: Must-Have Gardening Tools
Choosing the right gardening tools can be overwhelming. What tools are a must-have and which are a splurge? I am here to help you figure things out.
Here is a quick list of the must-have tools for a small to medium garden:
- Garden hoe
- Hand trowel
- Pruning shears
- Watering can
I recommend you check out this YouTube video to get a better idea of how to use some of these essentials:
Gardening Shovels — The Options
Image credit: wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk
1. Round point shovel
A round point shovel, like the Bully Tools 82515 from Amazon I mentioned above, is great for digging, lifting, and turning soil if you do not have a garden tiller. Its round but sharp point is designed to cut deep into the soil, especially when you push it in with your foot.
2. Garden spade
A garden spade has a sharp square edge and a narrow head. It digs deep into the ground and is great for planting, cutting sod, edging your garden bed, and cultivating the soil.
3. Square point shovel
This type of shovel has a square shape, making it ideal for scooping and moving compost, manure, and soil. It can also be used for lawn edging and transplanting bushes and trees.
4. Garden trowel
A garden trowel is a small hand shovel that gives you more precision when working on small spaces. The narrow and slightly scooped blade is ideal for making holes and planting bedding plants.
Rakes — The Options
Image credit: gardengatemagazine.com
1. Leaf rake
A leaf rake is an essential tool for landscaping. It is great for removing grass clippings, leaves, and other bits and pieces from your yard. I recommend buying the True Temper Anti-clog Leaf Rake from Amazon with its cushioned handle to prevent hand blisters.
2. Garden rake
A garden rake has short and sturdy steel tines, great for breaking up the soil and distributing compost. Its opposite flat side helps you smooth dirt and mulch.
3. Garden hand rake
A garden hand rake is a miniature garden rake. It is great for turning and tilling the soil in between plants. You can also use it to remove annoying weeds and stones.
4. Lawn hand rake
A lawn hand rake helps you remove leaves and organic debris around and underneath your flower beds. An adjustable hand rake, like the Zenport 15307A you can find on Amazon, will give you more precision when cleaning up small spaces.
A Spading Or Bedding Fork — What’s The Difference?
Image credit: mygardentoolreviews.com
1. Spading Fork
A spading fork steps in where a pointed shovel fails. A spading fork like Radius Garden 203 PRO from Amazon is great for digging and turning compacted soil and rocky terrain. It is a great tool for lifting plants, separating perennials, and aerating the soil.
2. Bedding fork
A bedding fork is a must-have farm and garden tool you can use for moving and distributing large amounts of compost, hay, and mulch. For handling heavier things, I recommend you choose a manure fork.
Anvil Vs. Bypass Pruners — What’s The Difference?
Don’t know which type of pruners to buy? Here is the difference.
Image credit: gardenmyths.com
Bypass pruners work like scissors. Two sharp blades bypass each other to create a clean cut. They are precise and they don’t cause damage to the plant. Because of this, they are ideal for trimming live green plants.
Have a rose bush that needs trimming? Use a bypass pruner!
Image credit: gardenmyths.com
Anvil pruners work like a knife on a cutting board. You push a singular blade against an anvil, typically made of steel or hard rubber. These pruners are not great for trimming soft plant tissue because they can crush and damage it.
Anvil pruners, like the gonicc Professional GPPS-1011 from Amazon, are ideal for cutting dead plants and dried branches.
Have a pile of dead corn stalks you would like to chop up for composting? Use an anvil pruner!
How Best To Clean Gardening Tools?
Remove the soil from your gardening tools by hosing them down under maximum pressure. You can remove stubborn clay soil with a hard-bristle brush if needed. Always wipe and dry your tools with a cotton rag before storing them (Image credit: gardendesign.com).
How To Sharpen Garden Tools?
With a quick motion, drag a metal file over the blade edge at a 45-degree angle. If you have a vice, use it to fasten the tool while you work on it. Finish the blade with a light layer of vegetable oil (Image credit: creeklinehouse.com).
How To Store Garden Tools?
You should store your garden tools away from the outdoor elements. Make a DIY wall hanger using wood and U-shaped hooks you can find at your local home improvement store (Image credit: singlegirlsdiy.com).
You can also store your pruners, hand rakes, and trowels on a shelving unit or in a bucket. Check out this video for inspiration:
Other Tools To Consider
Of course, everybody’s garden is different and some of you may need other tools apart from the ones I talked about here.
That’s why I prepared this list of other garden tools you may find useful:
BTW, some of these tools can be useful even to grow portobello and other mushrooms at home.
Garden With Confidence
Are you missing some of these gardening essentials? My detailed list of the best gardening tools should get you started.
A strong collection of gardening tools will let you step into every new growing season with confidence.
Gardening tools that are well taken care of should last you a lifetime and not be a liability. Who knows, your grandkids may one day pick up your retired shovel and rake!
Last update on 2021-10-27 at 13:29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API