As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may also contain other affiliate links.
There are many reasons why you might require the services of a building surveyor, especially if you are looking to purchase an older property. When looking for such a professional, it can seem like a daunting task. A Google search is likely to produce a list of local chartered surveyors, which is a great place to start your quest for the best deal on offer.
Here are a few tips to help make the selection process that much easier.
- Recommendations – Prior to searching online, take a look at your contacts and see if there are those who might regularly use a building surveyor, as a recommendation goes a long way. You might have a few friends who have recently bought property, and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t ask then about the surveying services they have used in the past.
- Customer Reviews – In this digital age we live in, there are many ways in which a potential customer can get valuable information about a potential supplier. When browsing the websites of building surveyors, look for customer reviews. If you happen to be based in the Midlands, Castle Surveys Ltd building surveyors in Leicester are the go to people for thorough and affordable surveying services that are tailored to meet your needs.
- Transparent Pricing – Obviously, the surveying company would offer a full range of services that include building and land surveys. When looking for a quote, the price should be all-inclusive. There is also a great article on what to look for when sourcing a local building surveyor, which is a recommended reading for all who are looking to purchase property in the near future.
- Making Good Use of Technology – Ideally, you want to deal with a surveying company that uses state of the art technology. 3D laser applications offer quick and very accurate results. With laser scanning, you are eliminating time-consuming practices, which helps to keep the price down. Measured building software is also widely used, and when talking to a local building surveyor, you should ask about their use of technology, which should be extensive in this day and age.
- Established with a Good Reputation – Ideally, the surveyor would have been in business for at least 5 years, and should, therefore, have a solid reputation for providing a first-class service for their clients. If you ask for a few client names, they should be able to provide you with an impressive list of local businesses that they have on their books.
- Price Comparisons – The Internet makes it very easy to ask for several quotes, and an hour of online browsing should be enough to give you at least 3 quotes from local surveyors. While the price isn’t everything if all the choices are well-established, then saving money should be a priority.
It is also important to carry out the right surveys, and this is something that an experienced building surveyor can advise you about. Once you have found a suitable company, you will have the benefit of their considerable experience to not be blinded by the curb appeal of the house you chose, and this should result in a professional service at an affordable price.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.