Makeup application is serious business. In the age of makeup YouTubers and tutorials, there are more techniques and products available than ever to suit your style and complexion.
However, one often overlooked part of applying makeup is the lighting. You can have all the expensive cosmetics in the world, but without the best LED vanity mirror to show your face in detail during application you could be making mistakes and not even noticing.
Let’s see how to choose the best one as well as four different LED vanity mirrors we found for you.
- 1 In A Rush? Check Our Comparison Table
- 2 Things to Consider
- 3 LED Mirrors vs LED Lighting Kits
- 4 Why LEDs?
- 5 Product Reviews
- 6 What Is The Best LED Vanity Mirror?
In A Rush? Check Our Comparison Table
If you are in a rush, take a quick glance at the products we will talk about here and which one we consider the best.
Things to Consider
If it is your first time purchasing a vanity mirror with LED lighting, you may not know exactly what to look for, and which features make a suitable mirror. There are a few important criteria to consider to ensure you make the right choice.
Which size you opt for will depend on a few factors including whether you plan to transport your mirror around (there are some small portable LED vanity mirrors if so).
The space in which you are installing your mirror is likely to dictate the size of mirror. If you have a large vanity table you may wish to install a large desktop mirror, or if you have a space reserved in your bedroom or bathroom a big, wall-mounted vanity mirror can look impressive as well as being functional.
You might think that LED lights are LED lights, but actually there are some subtle and nuanced differences to help you to make your decision.
Something I definitely recommend as a feature of LED vanity mirrors is dimmers. Some of these lights will just let you switch them on or off, with no extra controls.
The advantage of a dimmer is that the light can be set to your preference and the environment, plus altered according to the natural light available. If you are applying makeup in broad daylight, Byrdie recommends using natural light as much as possible, with a warm, bright light such as LED lighting to compliment this as required.
LED lighting tends to be quite an economical way to light up a space, but ensuring you purchase an energy efficient LED vanity mirror can save you a lot of money in the long haul.
Cleantechnica report a 50% increase in the efficiency of this technology since 2012. This saving is especially evident if your mirror is not just for personal use but for business use. These products are popular among makeup artists and fashion professionals and in these scenarios they can be on all day, the difference made can be huge..
Look And Design
LED vanity mirrors are extremely useful, but that doesn’t mean they can’t look great.
LED mirrors can provide some brilliant ambient lighting and an impressive statement piece in either bedroom, dressing room or bathroom. They add a real touch of class and can fit either modern or classic designs. Victoria Plum even reports that subtle, ambient lighting can help give a glamorous look to a bathroom.
LED Mirrors vs LED Lighting Kits
One controversial topic, and decision to be made, is whether to purchase the LED mirror with lights built in, or whether to purchase a separate LED lighting kit.
Though this article is focusing mainly on mirrors with lights included, it is definitely worth mentioning the lighting kits. If you already have a vanity mirror which is fixed to a wall or hard to remove, it might be worth considering a lighting kit to add the LED lights on to an existing mirror.
If you are purchasing a new mirror, there is really no benefit to one of these bolt-on light kits. It is extra hassle that can be avoided just by buying a great LED vanity mirror.
With plenty of lights available, and other forms of lamp made specifically for makeup and illuminating faces, what are the benefits of LED?
- The color temperature and tint doesn’t give a biased view of your face or provide a tint that might give you a warped view of the makeup you have applied and your coloring. Tungsten or ‘yellow’ lights may give you a less accurate view.
- Energy efficiency. As already alluded to, LED lighting is one of the most energy efficient sources of light and will save energy due to their intelligent design.
- They are long lasting. LED lights rarely need replacing meaning less maintenance and annoying upkeep.
- Heat. LED lights don’t tend to overheat, as many bulbs can. This avoids any risk of burns, especially useful if you are using your vanity mirror in a public space or somewhere children are.
Let’s take a look at, probably, the best products on the market.
Here’s the comparison table of the best LED vanity mirrors from our point of view. Below the table, you can find the detailed description of each product.
Chende Tabletop Vanity Mirror with Dimmable Light Bulbs
- On/off rotary dimmer switch that allows you to freely adjust the brightness of the mirror lights.
- One outlet by the side of vanity mirror to use hair drier, curling iron more conveniently.
- FREE 12 Dimmable LED bulbs. Elegantly design, Table top design.
The Chende vanity mirror is an elegant tabletop design of vanity mirror. It is available in multiple designs, one of which is bound to suit your space. Though advertised as a tabletop mirror, it also has the option of being wall mounted should you wish.
- Available with or without inbuilt makeup drawer.
- Dimmable lights to adjust to your preference.
- Available in black, white and frameless designs.
- Comes with spare bulbs.
- Available in round or rectangular designs.
- This mirror has been put through ‘drop tests’ to check the quality and durability.
- Metal hooks included at the back for wall mounting if this is preferred.
- Has a power outlet included for straighteners, hair dryers or other appliances.
- Power outlet can draw power from the bulbs.
- The control knob for the dimmer is not the sturdiest and you need to be delicate with it.
Vertical Lighted Silvered LED Mirror
- Simple and stylish style with no visible screws or switches . With the super-sensitive Touch Button you can turn on/off...
- LED light source creates bright, energy-efficient illumination, Their long-lasting LED provides a lifetime of use...
- Strong packing greatly reduces damage during transportation, we will provide a replacement or refund once you receive a...
This is another type of LED vanity mirror built with bathroom design in mind. The LEDs come in the form of a 40mm stripe around the outer edge of the mirror. The bulbs within are designed to have an incredible 50,000 hour lifespan. The intelligent and modern design is backed up by the ‘touch’ function, allowing you to turn it on in the center at the bottom with a touch sensitive command, much like an iPhone.
- Silvered reflection layer perfect for bathrooms.
- Touch controls for a modern look and feel.
- Available in two different sizes, King and Queen, to suit the space you have available.
- Comes with everything you need to affix to the wall. A relatively simple process.
- The lights could be brighter and need to be twinned with an ambient room light.
- The ‘nightlight’ illuminating the touch controls has no option to be turned off.
DECORAPORT Horizontal Wall Mounted LED Vanity Mirror
- 【SUPER FUNTIONS】 TOUCH BUTTON; ANTI-FOG: PET anti-fog material, not cheap PVC material, much longer lifetime....
- 【SUPER DISIGN】 The feature is the strong light effect when lighted (around 5CM width light stripe). The professional...
- 【SUPER LIGHTS】 Minimum 30% brighter than most competitors; CRI>90 light quality. LED stripe: 14W/M, CRI>90; Color...
If you are looking for an impressive look for your bathroom as well as a functional and flexible mirror, this could be the answer for you. The LED lights are in the form of a strip all around the outside of the rectangle. Though this doesn’t have to be used in a bathroom, it is certainly designed with this use in mind.
- Available in four different sizes, 20×28, 36×28, 55×28 and 55×36.
- Led lights lifetime of approximately 50,000 hours.
- Full kit for installing the mirror included.
- Moisture proof stripe around the outside so no issues with bathroom moisture will arise
- Simple on/off switch on the side.
- Has to be wall mounted with no option for free standing.
- No dimmer setting for choosing your light level.
- Can be confusing to mount and install if you are not overly DIY savvy.
Chende Hollywood LED Makeup Vanity Mirror
- SEPATATE REPLACEABLE BULBS. When a bulb is not working, you can directly replace the 12V dimming led bulb directly. And...
- ADD A SOCKET. A outlet is on the side of the Hollywood mirror. It not only keeps the appearance of the led makeup mirror...
- LIGHT BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTMENT. The dimmer adopts a rotary design and is installed on the side of the mirror. It easier for...
The second Chende LED vanity mirror we’ve mentioned in our list. This Chende mirror is similar in many ways to its smaller sibling. The ‘Hollywood’ design clearly looks like it would fit perfectly in a film set dressing room. The gorgeous looks of the exposed bulbs make this a popular choice for those who are going for a less modern look.
- Dimmable lights which are easy to adjust.
- Comes with spare bulbs
- Available in black, white or frameless designs.
- Metal hooks included to allow for wall mounting.
- Has a power outlet.
- Larger than the vertically designed Chende Tabletop.
- Power outlet can take power away from the bulbs and cause dimming.
- The control knob for the dimmer is not the sturdiest.
- Occasional reports of flaws and chips from the shipping process, always a risk with large, delicate items.
- Fairly expensive compared to its competitors.
What Is The Best LED Vanity Mirror?
In terms of which LED mirror I recommend, Chende definitely stand out as the best brand, with the smaller, ‘portrait’ shaped design implemented in Chende Tabletop Vanity Mirror being my recommendation out of these.
It gives a great blend of quality, looks and value for money, and is big enough for most uses. It can be placed on top of a vanity dresser or similar, or it can be wall mounted. One of the few models to offer this choice. Both Chende models are great, but we recommend the portrait model for not just great looks and features, but value for money.
Different users are looking for different things from their mirror. If you are looking for something a little different such as a bathroom vanity mirror or a portable mirror, rest assured that there are options worth looking at.
Last update on 2022-05-22 at 01:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API